A lot has been happening in the MMBA since last October and we thought we should highlight some of them so you can get stoked for the upcoming riding season.
Saying Good bye to some Instrumental People
Unfortunately, we’ve had to say good bye to two great MMBA presidents in 2016! Sean O’Flaherty stepped down in July due to an impending move. Sean had been president of the club since 2012 and was instrumental in the development of several new trails the upgrading of the Godey bridges and getting us out on Wednesday rides.
When Sean stepped down, Ben Currie stepped up and was a perfect fit for the role. He was instrumental in bringing back a very successful Cow Trail Classic. He also facilitated many successful trail days, group rides this summer and the new Flo Jo trail, on the Coutlee Plateau. Unfortunately for the riding community of Merritt, Ben also had to step down as President due to a move away from the community with his family.
Thank you, Sean, and Ben for your dedication to growing the sport of mountain biking in Merritt! We miss your enthusiasm and dedication and hope to see you on the trails this summer.
Membership in the club was up in 2016, and that's great news for anyone using the trails! Membership numbers give us a stronger voice, so we can advocate for more trails, trail improvements and upkeep, and all the things that make our riding great.
Your membership isn't just a number—we want to hear from you! You are invited to our Annual General Meetings, club meetings and encouraged to communicate with us on the ongoing direction the club takes, by e-mail, phone, or a shout across the street!
We’ve made it even easier for you to become a member! Fill out the PDF fillable form on our website http://www.bikemerritt.com/membership and email it to email@example.com then pay your $10 membership fee on PayPal. We’ve created a link on the Membership page!
A vote of the executives and directors was held and a new president and vice president were elected:
President: Erika Doyon
Vice President: Jon Puterbough
Treasurer: Tony Ross
Secretary: Heather Pratt Johnson
Sean O’Flaherty – Past President
Ben Currie – Past President
Ryan De Visser
2017 Operating Plan
The board has been working hard on planning for the 2017 season. Here’s a snapshot into what we’ve been planning:
· Lots of riding! Check out our calendar on the website as all our rides are posted there.
· Cow Trail Classic – coming back for 2017 on June 10th!
· Signage and route marking: Thanks to a Tolko Industries Ltd. donation, we can put up provincially standardized route signage and kiosks in all our riding areas! We’ve already signed Coutlee and plan to complete Lundbom, Info Centre and Scenic/TLT riding areas. Come help us!
· Trail maintenance: along with putting up signage, we will be organizing trail days to get our trails into riding shape for the season. We will be posting our Trail Maintenance Days on the calendar and posting on Facebook and sending emails out as well if you are interested in coming out. A professional trail assessment was conducted on all the trails in our riding area in 2016 by Valhalla Trail Ltd., commissioned by Rec Site and Trails BC. It highlighted the ways in which we can bring our trails up to a higher standard which has helped to direct our trail maintenance and development plans.
· New Trail Design: A climbing trail accessing Iron Mountain is in the planning stages!
· Grants: We are busy applying for grants so we can accomplish all the above. Thanks to the City of Merritt who just awarded us $5000!
***What do you think? Send us an email or facebook message to give us your input!
Cow Trail Classic XC Race
A little more on our upcoming event: (full event details at https://www.cowtrailclassic.com/)
· A new loop in the Long Course has been added to include FloJo – the newest trail of the Coutlee Plateau. Maps on the website will be posted soon.
· Flo Jo has also been added as a new 10.5km Intro to Race course option for those of you who want to see what racing is all about!
· Race Registration is open and our early bird prices won’t be around forever. Check out our website for details:
· For those of you who are not interested in riding but want to be apart of a sweet event, consider volunteering! Get in touch with our Volunteer Director Rob firstname.lastname@example.org
· We are still looking for sponsors for those of you with connections and ability! Contact Heather, our Sponsorship Director at email@example.com
· We are really excited to be partnering with the awesome Ozmosis Training to provide several bike clinics over the weekend! These clinics will accommodate riding levels from beginner to advanced and include:
o Friday evening: Pre-race tune up on Friday evening
o Saturday: Youth Camp
o Sunday: Ladies only camp
See our Cow Trail Classic website for more info.